Are you looking to become a freelancer in the UAE?
If so, you’ll need to know the process for obtaining a freelance visa. The UAE has specific regulations for those wishing to pursue freelance work in the country, and it’s important to understand the steps involved to make sure you comply with the rules and regulations.
We hope this guide will help you to understand the process a little more!
The first step is to obtain a freelance license, which allows you to work as a freelancer in the UAE.
The following UAE free zones issue freelancer licenses:
- Dubai Internet City
- Dubai Media City
- Ajman Free Zone
- Dubai Knowledge Park
- Fujairah Creative City Free Zone
- Dubai Design District
- Ras Al Khaimah Economic Free Zone
Depending on the free zone you choose, the expenses associated with setting up the license may vary.
Once you have obtained your freelance license, you can then proceed to apply for a freelance visa. There may be additional charges for obtaining a freelance permit if you are applying for a freelance visa under the Dubai Development Authority; but we can help guide you.
To be eligible for a freelance visa, you must have professional expertise and an attested degree in one of the following fields:
- Talent Pass
- Banking/Finance Professionals
- Media, Educationists
- IT Professionals
These requirements ensure that freelancers in the UAE have the necessary qualifications and skills to contribute to the country’s growing economy.
Becoming a freelancer in the UAE comes with a host of benefits that can make your career even more rewarding. One of the main advantages is the opportunity to tap into the thriving business landscape of the UAE. With its rapidly growing economy, there are endless possibilities for freelance work across various industries, from technology and finance to creative arts and hospitality.
Another benefit of freelancing in the UAE is the potential for higher income. As a freelancer, you have the freedom to set your own rates and negotiate contracts that align with your skills and expertise. With the country’s strong economy and high demand for skilled professionals, freelancers often have the opportunity to earn more compared to traditional employment.
Additionally, you have the freedom to work from anywhere and set your own schedule, allowing for a better work-life balance. This flexibility allows you to explore the beautiful landscapes, cultural attractions, and vibrant cities that the UAE has to offer.
The UAE provides the opportunity for personal and professional growth. By immersing yourself in the country’s diverse culture and business environment, you can expand your network, gain valuable experience, and develop new skills that will further enhance your freelance career.
Finally, the greatest benefit is being able to take advantage of the 0% corporate tax rate which will significantly lower your tax expenses! And in turn, you have a more profitable business, being able to keep more of your well-earned income to yourself.
To obtain a freelance visa you must meet the following requirements –
- Valid passport: with at least six months of validity remaining. This is essential for entering and staying.
- Medical insurance: which provides coverage for the UAE, to ensure that you have access to necessary healthcare services while you are in the country.
- Application form: like with all the process, our team can guide you with this requirement and provide the necessary support.
- Updated curriculum vitae: highlighting your professional experience and skills.
- Academic certificates: must be attested by the UAE consulate or Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Two professional references: necessary to vouch for your expertise and reliability as a freelancer. These references should ideally come from individuals who are familiar with your work and can speak to your abilities.
- Work offer or a letter of intent: from a company or client that you plan to work as a freelancer.
- Financial requirements: not a requirement as such, but our suggestion is to have earnings of at least 100,000 GBP. This will help to cover the relevant setup costs, ongoing accountancy services, and the general cost of living in the UAE.
How RHJ Group can help
If you’re still unsure the freelancer setup is right for you, our team are here to help. Begin with a free 30-minute initial consultation with our UAE team to understand the process from start to finish; including future requirements.
When applying for the visa and licence, our team will assist you in gathering all the necessary documents, ensuring that everything is in order and meets the requirements.