Skip to main content

Are you living between two countries during the same tax year? If so, you may need to consider filing a split-year tax return. A split-year tax return is required for individuals who have moved countries within a tax year. It is important to understand your obligations when it comes to filing a split-year tax return and how it may affect your taxes.

Ready to get started?

In this blog article, we will discuss the basics of the split-year tax return and what you need to know.

split year tax return

Who needs to file a split year tax return?

Have you lived and worked in more than one country within a single tax year? You may need to file a split-year tax return. This applies to individuals who have spent part of the year as a tax resident in one country, and another part of the year in another country.

It’s important to note that not all countries have the same tax year, so you’ll need to check the rules for each country where you were a tax resident during the year. For example, the UK tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year, while the US and Portugal tax years run from 1 January to 31 December.

Filing a split-year tax return can be complicated, so it’s important to seek advice from a tax expert. Not doing so could lead to errors or missed opportunities to claim deductions or exemptions.


How do I file a split year tax return?

Filing a split-year tax return can be quite complex, and it is advisable to seek the help of a qualified tax professional. However, if you choose to do it yourself, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Firstly, you will need to determine the dates of your residency in each country during the tax year. This will require a thorough examination of your travel and work history, as well as any documentation you have regarding your residency status.

Next, you will need to identify which country has the primary taxing rights over your income for the portion of the year in which you were a tax resident in that country. This is known as the “tie-breaker” rule, and it is based on a series of criteria set out in the relevant tax treaty.

Once you have determined your residency status and the applicable tax treaty provisions, you will need to prepare separate tax returns for each country. This can involve a great deal of work, particularly if the tax systems of the two countries are very different.

In some cases, you may be eligible to claim foreign tax credits for taxes paid in the other country, which can help to offset your overall tax liability.

Get help filing your tax return

What if I move during the tax year?

If you move between two countries during the tax year, you may still be considered a resident in both countries for tax purposes.

It is important to note that if you move between countries, you may also be subject to different tax laws and rates in each country. You may also need to consider things like social security contributions, pension schemes, and other tax implications related to your move.

To ensure that you meet all of your tax obligations, it is highly recommended that you seek professional advice when filing a split-year tax return. An experienced tax advisor can guide you through the process and help you make sure that you comply with all relevant tax laws and regulations.

Overall, filing a split-year tax return can be a complex process, but with the right guidance and support, you can ensure that you fulfil your tax obligations and avoid any penalties or fines. So if you have recently moved between countries, don’t hesitate to reach out to a tax advisor to get the help you need.


What if I’m a student or working holidaymaker?

Are you are a student or a working holidaymaker living between two countries? Well, filing a split-year tax return may be necessary. However, there may be some additional considerations to take into account.

If you are a student, you will need to determine if you are considered a tax resident or not. This will depend on factors such as your length of stay in each country, and your ties to each country. Also, your intentions for returning to your home country. It’s always recommended to seek advice from a tax professional. This will help you to ensure you meet all the necessary requirements for filing your split-year tax return.

If you are a working holidaymaker, you may be subject to different tax rules. This will depend on the country you are working in. For example, in Australia, working holidaymakers are subject to a special tax rate on their income. However, in other countries, there may not be any special tax treatment for working holidaymakers. You may be subject to the same tax rules as residents. It’s important to research the tax laws in each country you are living in to determine your obligations.

Overall, it’s important to understand your obligations whether you are a student or a working holidaymaker. Filing split-year tax returns can be tricky and expensive if you get it wrong. Seeking advice from a tax professional can help ensure you are meeting all the necessary requirements and avoiding any penalties.

Speak to our team of expats today

Do I need to pay tax on my foreign income?

The short answer is, it depends. In some countries you have to declare your worldwide income. However, wether you have to pay tax on foreign income will depend on the country. Many countries have double tax agreements in place. This prevents double taxation and ensures that you are not taxed twice on the same income.

Important note: An individual may still be required to report any foreign income you earn while living abroad. Failure to do so can result in penalties and even legal action.

The rules surrounding foreign income can be complex and vary from country to country. It’s recommended that you seek the advice of a tax professional who is familiar with the laws in both countries. This allows you to ensure that you are meeting your obligations and avoiding any potential issues.

Unsure whether you need to pay tax on your foreign income? Check with the tax authorities in both countries or speak to a tax professional for guidance.


Speak to an expert

Filing a split-year tax return can be quite daunting, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the process. However, it’s important to fulfil your obligations as a taxpayer and report your income to the appropriate tax authorities. Seeking professional advice is highly recommended to ensure that you comply with all tax laws and regulations.

Remember, the consequences of non-compliance can be severe, so it’s better to be safe than sorry. With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can file your split-year tax return with confidence. Allowing you to focus on other things and have peace of mind.

Speak to the team

Leave a Reply